Christmas is incomplete without the traditional Christmas fruit cake or plum cake. It is rich in dry fruits and berries. It has a beautiful aroma and is light and moist with notes of rum in it. Here's the recipe for this delightful and heavenly cake.
Servings: 1 large cake
Total Preparation Time: 3 hours
for soaking dry fruits in rum:
- ¼ cup Seedless Afghan raisins, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Dried cranberries, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Dried figs, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cherries, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Turkish dried apricot, finely chopped
- ¼ cup pitted dry dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup rum
for fruit cake batter:
- 1¼ cups water, warm
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp orange rind
- 1 tbsp almonds
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- Soak dry fruits in rum for 2 hours.
- Pour warm water, powdered sugar and butter in a bowl and mix well.
- Then sieve and add the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and salt.
- Add orange rind and vanilla essence in the mix.
- Now, squeeze all the soaked dry fruits.
- Blend the batter till it is combined and further add squeezed dry fruits, almonds and walnuts. Gently fold them into the batter.
- Now, take the cake mould and grease it.
- Transfer the cake batter into the cake mould.
- Pre-heat and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes.
- Slice the Christmas fruit cake evenly.
- Serve and enjoy the cake with your favorite cup of tea.