Holi, the festival of colours, is a grand celebration of love and brotherhood. A day that brings people of all communities together. A day on which we can attempt to forget our differences by becoming the same shades of red, blue, green, yellow and pink, because â€œWhat the world needs now is love, sweet love”.
Another thing that has always brought us together is food. Sharing food with another human being has been a gesture of peace since time immemorial. From inviting your new neighbours for dinner to elaborate wedding feasts, all to celebrate human connections.
Today, I bring you a recipe for to make and share. A classic Holi drink, as colourful and flavourful as the festival itself: a thandai with red from rose petals, yellow from saffron and green from pistachios.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes (12 hours for overnight soaking)
- Milk- 2 Litres
- Raw Almond Kernels - 1½ cup
- Pistachios- ½ cup
- Tassyam Raw Watermelon Seeds - 1 cup
- Dried Raisins - 1 cup
- Sugar- 1cup
- Tassyam A Grade Saffron Strands- 6-10 strands
- Fennel- 4 tablespoons
- Cardamom powder- 1½ tablespoon
- Tassyam Premium Cinnamon Powder- ½ tablespoon
- Peppercorns - 5-6
- Tassyam Rose Royale 20g - 1 cup
- Soak almonds, pistachios, watermelon seeds, raisins, peppercorn and fennel in water overnight.
- Heat a pan and once hot, take it off the heat. Put the rose petals in the pan and allow it to dry up using the residual heat of the pan. The petals should become very brittle.
- Grind the rose petals into a coarse powder.
- Now blend all the soaked fruits, nuts and spices into a smooth puree. Add the sugar and saffron and blend again. Use milk to dilute if necessary.
- Strain the puree so that a smooth paste is obtained.
- Now in a jar, add the puree, cardamom powder, cinnamon powder and ground rose petals. Whisk it into a homogenous paste. Pour chilled milk and whisk well.
- In a glass take the desired amount of ice and pour the thandai and garnish with rose petals and chopped nuts.
- Your Thandai is ready to serve!
Wishing you a very Happy and Safe Holi from Tassyam.
If you are looking for instant thandai that can be made instantly buy: