The only thing better than a good start is a great ending. And what is a better way to finish a lovely dinner date with your special someone than with a sweet heartfelt dessert?
Summers are here, and with summer so is Mango Season! This all-time favourite fruit is the star ingredient of today’s dessert, is beautifully complemented by chocolate.
Tarts are just the right balance of special and ease, making it perfect for charming your date while not being required to take up a course on baking. Tarts have primarily two components: the tart shell and the filling. Today we make our tart shell from chocolate Cookies rather than from scratch and requires absolutely no baking. Pre-date jitters are enough, for now, you do not want to add more from a 6-hour long shortcrust recipe.
Cooking Time: 1½ hour
For the Cookie Crust
- Chocolate Cookies (Oreo): 12 cookies
- Melted Unsalted Butter: 4 tablespoons
For the Mango Curd
- Mango Pulp: ½ Cup
- Sugar: 4 tablespoons
- Egg Yolk: 2 mediums
- Butter: 1 cube
- Corn starch: 2 teaspoons
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- In a food processor blend the cookies into a coarse powder.
- Add the melted butter and blend again into a coarse sand-like consistency.
- In a greased tart tin, or a shallow ramekin spread the coarse sandy picture to form a half-inch thick uniform layer on all surfaces. Press firmly to make the mixture stick together and to the ramekin.
- Let it chill till the mix solidifies.
- In the meantime, in a pan whisk all the ingredients required for the curd, except the butter. Warm it up on a low heat while constantly stirring. Do not let the mixture get any close to boiling. You can achieve this by taking the pan off the heat every time the mixture starts producing steam. Alternatively, you can also cook it on a double boiler where you place a glass or metal bowl on top of simmering water and whisk the mixture till its thick.
- Once the desired consistency of a smooth slightly thick gel is obtained take it off the heat and mix the butter in.
- Cooldown to room temperature.
- Pour into your tart shells and let it chill once again.
- Right before serving take it out of the freezer and garnish with mint leaves and fresh mango.
I hope your dinner is as amazing as this dessert!